Wednesday, April 23, 2008

What Does Critical Literacy Mean to Me?

Well over the course of this semester I've really had to question a lot of things. I've especially had to question my own motives and my own prejudices that I've had about literacy. I think that once I realized what kind of stance I was taking on certain literature I was better able to tackle the big giant elephant in the room. 

What I mean is that in my classroom this year, literacy/language arts/reading has been something that I HAD to do but not something that I particularly enjoyed. I am very much a Math person, meaning I have a complex love affair with math and everything dealing with Math. In that sense I always felt like I gave my students the short end of the stick when it came to reading/language arts. Through understanding  the role that critical literacy can take in your own life and your classroom, I am now better able to integrate reading/language arts into my daily routine. 

I also feel that critical literacy has really helped me balance my daily routine because I am better able to break through important issues using literature and text. Critical Literacy to me is a way to think about something old and bring in a fresh new perspective. It is the ability to transform a tired old tale like "The Three Little Pigs" and make into "The Tres Pequeños Pigs." It is a way to talk about important social issues through the lens of a story or an author's point of view. It is then taking that lens and analyzing to help understand our own stance. 

2 comments:

MV said...

Andy I love that you are attempting to create more and more spaces for critical literacies in your setting. It was wonderful to chat with you throughout the semester and notice how much critical literacy was becoming part of your theoretical tool kit!

Thanks
vivian

Z. Bryant said...

It is encouraging to read of the challenges you had do to personal interest and how you have worked to address them. It is easy to get caught up in what interest you the most. However, its important to go deep into subjects in the classroom which would otherwise have no desire or limited interest in. Our students deserve that. Besides you never know what we might find if we took the time to sort of step outside the box of our own interest.