Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Interview with a Classroom Teacher

The teacher I interviewed for this project is a first-year teacher from South Florida. She had never taught in an inner-city school but what she has done and accomplished with her first graders is nothing short of amazing. She has such in-depth knowledge of the content and that translates into well-planned and organized lessons. I truly believe that she is well on her way to becoming an amazing teacher.

What role does literature play in the classroom curriculum?

Seury: I believe literature plays a huge role in all classroom instruction. Books can be used to access prior knowledge before any type of lesson. There are fictional books that can introduce any subject and help get the students exciting to learn more. There are also nonfiction books that can be used as supplements to the actual lesson and even teach students new things.


What kinds of books are chosen? Why and how?

Seury: As a first grade teacher, I first and foremost choose books that I know will keep the attention of my students. Large, bright, and colorful pictures or photos are very important. I also look for books that are cross curricular. During our literacy block I often use books that supplement what we are also doing in science and social studies. Since I have a large amount of ESL students, I also try to find books that are written on their level, without the use of English conventions.


Who decides on what books are used in the classroom?

Seury: As far as textbooks go, the District adopts which programs and books we can use to teach. However, I have my own personal collection of children’s literature that I pull from to supplement and enhance my children’s learning. I don’t believe that one book is enough material to stimulate their interest or open their eyes to a topic. I do my best to find and utilize more resources that will allow the children multiple exposures to a story or topic.


What is your theoretical perspective on teaching or specifically on using children’s literature in the curriculum?

Seury: I believe children’s literature should be an essential learning tool in every classroom environment. As an introduction, it allows the student to be pulled into a fictional world and activate any prior knowledge they may have. It also grasps their attention before any learning has even taken place, stimulating their interest in the topic. As a supplemental teaching instrument, books can give a new and exciting perspective on an old, possibly boring subject. It can expose students to already information that has already been learned, which helps reinforce what is being taught. Last, children’s books can be a fun way to close any kind of lesson. Instead of taking tests and drowning our students in worksheets, you can bring a topic to life by turning piece of literature into a reader’s theater.

No comments: